OPEN HOUSE: March 4th
The Department of Theatre & Performance is holding an Open House on Saturday, March 4th. Please arrive in the Centre for Film and Theatre on York’s Keele Campus for 9:00 am. Your day will start with an overview of our programs, followed by a tour of our theatres, studios, wardrobe and carpentry shops. You’ll then participate in a series of 3 fun workshops introducing you to our faculty and our areas of Production, Acting, and Creation. The day wraps up with free pizza and a chance for you to connect with students and faculty from 1:00–1:30 pm.
FREE 3-Day Cosplay Workshop
Assistant Professor Aaron Kelly, Associate Professor Sylvia Defend, and Professor Marlis Schweitzer in the department of Theatre & Performance at York University invite graduating high school students to 3-day workshops on creating for the character on stage and cosplay.
This workshop is part of a larger research project studying the impact and effectiveness of teaching skills and theatre creation through peer lead and mentored workshops. Participants will use the Theatre Department wardrobe and scenic shops to create their helmets with inspiration drawn from historical and fantasy sources. With faculty and guest artist guidance, participants will work with undergraduate students studying Theatre Design to create a Cosplay-inspired helmet from found, recycled, and once-loved materials.
Participants must be at least 16 years old at the time of the workshop. Space is limited to ten (10) participants.
Please express interest by emailing Aaron Kelly at email@example.com. (All applicants will receive a confirmation of their spot in the workshop via email.)
- York University’s Department of Theatre and Performance offers a 3-day workshop to explore creating for the stage.
- The participants will work with upper-level theatre students, faculty and guest artists to create their cosplay-inspired helmets using found, recycled, and once-loved materials.
- This workshop will focus on hands-on practical creating for the character and stage, developing skills in props making, armour building, costume construction, scenic painting, and cosplay techniques.
Dates and Times:
- Thursday, March 16, 2023, 10:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Friday, March 17, 10:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Saturday, March 18, 10:30 am – 4:30 pm
In addition to the workshop, other enrichment opportunities are available, including:
- theatre tours,
- attending a dress rehearsal in our main stage theatre, and
- performances for our Devised Theatre Festival.
The Workshop Schedule:
10:30 am Arrival, meet and greet and tour of the facilities (SAMS?)
- Fireside Lounge
- Tour Studios
11:30am – 4:30pm Join the 2nd year costuming class.
- Introduction to the project
- Understanding patterns and how they are made.
- Under the mentorship of students and workshop leaders, the participant will use existing patterns developed for this workshop to create a custom personalized Fantasy/Cosplay armour helmet.
- Imagining and creating a vision.
- Option to attend a dress rehearsal of our mainstage production Dance Nation in the Sandra Faire and Ivan Fecan Theatre – see undergraduate students create theatre in our spaces. OR the option to get free tickets to attend our annual Devised Theatre Festival (DTFest) in the Joe Green Theatre.
10:30 am Arrival and Welcome
11:00am – 4:30pm Dedicated shop time
- Participants will continue working with student and artist advisors to create helmets. You will complete the structure and form by the end of the day.
- Demonstrations on pattern creation
- Decretive art
- And construction techniques
10:30am Arrival and Welcome
- Continue working on your helmet.
- Workshops on faux finishing techniques (metal, dragon scales, fabric, leather, etc.)
- Discussion on weapons constitution, other types of armour and considerations in construction
- Finishing your helmet.
- Project debriefing and discussion.
- Closing pizza party.